The Sacrament of Baptism
The Catholic Church believes and teaches that Baptism is a sacrament, recognition of the life of Christ in the infant and a welcoming into this Christian faith and community. As a sacrament, it brings with it responsibilities and commitments to share the gift of faith. For an infant, that faith and commitment must come from the parents and sponsors.
The sacrament reflects the need for parents to publicly commit themselves to sustaining and nourishing the child's faith. It is this public decision of the parents, supported and modeled by the Godparents, following study and reflection that is celebrated.
Requirements for the Sacrament of Baptism
At least one parent must be a practicing and active Catholic who will rear the infant as a Catholic Christian. Parents who are not practicing their faith have no right to make commitments for their infants unless they are willing to make a serious decision to renew the practice of their faith at this time.
If living outside Mother Cabrini boundaries and not a registered parishioner, a letter of permission from your Parish is required.
A Godparent is a person who will assist or take the place of the parents (in case of disability or death) in bringing the newly baptized up in the Catholic faith. Every newly baptized must have a least one Godparent. Only one sponsor is required. If two sponsors are elected they must be a male and a female.
A Godparent must be a practicing Catholic, at least 18 years old who has celebrated the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and First Communion. If sponsor is Married, CHURCH marriage certificate and Confirmation certificate. If sponsor is Single, Baptism, 1st Holy Communion, and Confirmation certificates
PLEASE NOTE: All Certificates MUST BE ORIGINAL COPIES. There will be no exceptions.
Both Parents and Godparents must attend a pre-baptismal class before their child's baptism, unless they are excused or have attended the pre-baptismal classes please present valid proof.
PLEASE NOTE: CHILDREN ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ATTEND THE PRE-BAPTISMAL CLASS.
This program gives parents and Godparents an opportunity to reflect on their own faith, to learn more about the meaning of the sacrament of Baptism, and to be made aware of the responsibilities of being Catholic parents or sponsors at baptism.
- Registrations should be made in the office one (1) month in advance.
- Deadline to register is the 20th of each month.
- Court-Certified birth certificate of child to be baptized.
- If living outside Mother Cabrini boundaries and not a registered parishioner, a letter of permission from your Parish.
- Parents and Godparents are required to attend a pre-baptismal class. If you have attended pre-baptismal classes present valid proof.
- Pre-baptismal classes are offered the first Saturday of every month.
- If Godparent is Married, CHURCH marriage certificate and Confirmation certificate.
- If Godparent is Single, Baptism, 1st Holy Communion, and Confirmation certificates.
- The Baptism celebration takes place the second Weekend of every month unless the church advises you otherwise.
- Donation per child $50.00
For registration forms, please visit parish office.
Por favor pase a la oficina para obtener las formas de registro